I know I have a huge lack of knowledge in many things, but yet I do admire people for their strength to stand for something they believed in. But like I said, I know little,
and I may not know the whole story. But what I do know is, to me, these people had a passion and lived their life for their beliefs. I admire most Mormon missionaries (probably a big reason is because I am a Mormon)- because most of them are going out in a world to share something that they believe in for 2 years (or 18 months for girls). That just amazes me that someone is willing to share something they believe in for that long. I can barely share something I thought I believed in for 15 minutes - or however long the persuasive speech was supposed to be. I admire many religious leaders for their stance and conviction in believing in something they feel is right.This may sound nerdy but I have a goal/huge interest in studying great leaders or people that try to make a difference in this world, for the good. I want to know their passion, and know how they got to be at this point in their life - where they too wanted to make a difference. Was it always instilled in them? Or did something happen to them that they decided this is who they want to be?

This year I've started to study about a lady named Aung San Suu Kyi. She's an extremely intriguing and strong person, at least what I've learned so far about her. She has been willing to stand for something she believes in, and help others without concern about what might happen to her if she does so. She has been in and out of house arrest because of her beliefs since 1989, and as far as I know is still under house arrest.
I've admired my sister Amber, because she makes it known what she stands for. You see her passion and she stands by what she thinks.
With everything that is going on - wars, economy, prop 8, the presidential election of last year- I've been questioning what is it that I stand for? What do I actually believe in?Though this is something really silly, it has been something that has bothered me. During the whole chaos of voting for prop 8 there were countless things that I could of done on Facebook to show my support for marriage between man and woman only. However, I never did. I knew I had friends that are gay, or bi - who I support their decision - yet, it worried me what they might think of me. I knew what I stood for, and what I would vote for if I lived in California. Yet, I was afraid of....what? Having to explain myself? Having to show that I can make a stand for something? Maybe I was afraid of losing friends that I'm not extremely close to, I'm not really sure. Though something small, I realized my lack of being able to stand for something.
I've been reading Children of the Promise - it's a series about WWII. It's really good. But it has made me think. I've lived in a time where women have rights, they have freedoms, they are able to think, do and say what they feel. But back then women were just slowly developing those
rights - women were still thought of as people that were made to be housewives that stood by their husband's side. It makes me feel sad that these women that may have had great ideas were pushed aside. I do feel that it's better for women to be housewives. However, I think it's necessary that they have a college education and make sure they make themselves knowledgeable and marketable in case something does happen to their husband. Yet, I don't think it's right for a woman to be looked on as just a husband's accessory and the only one to be taking care of the kids.I admire the women back then, for standing for what they believed in - in order to make it possible for me to have the freedoms that I take for granted.
I think it's important for people to stand for something that they believe in, as long as they are open minded about other views. It reminds me of a scripture in the Book of Mormon which reads: "But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words." - Alma 32:27. I know what this scripture means, but in the sense of what I am saying it can be taken as if you just wake up and stand for something, and if you have nothing else in you but a desire to believe go after that desire and hopefully it will feed into more than a desire.
Anyways, this is long enough.



3 comments:
Thanks for the shout out :)
Erin, I disagree with you. I feel that if the cause was important to you, then you would stand up and be counted. I can see you fighting for the unjust hurt, sorrow or heartache a friend of yours might go through because of some silly mistake or thoughtless remark. You may not feel strong and powerful now, but when you are needed, you will be in the right place at the right time. I know that I voiced my opinion a lot more when it came to fighting for a cause for my child that I felt would help them succeed. My own causes never seemed as important as my children's.
I think there are many people that are passionate and will stand up for something as long as it doesn't require any sacrifice on their part. We live in a country that praises the ego maniacs of politicians, entertainers and sports figures for having the guts to stand up and make themselves known, but what they are standing up for is their own glory, recognition and privileges. They may have opinions about all sorts of things, but just because they are famous doesn't mean that their opinion is correct. We praise people that are good sells-men, even if they are only selling themselves.
I don't think the choice is made up of only a passionate person standing up for something and an apathetic person sitting down and complaining about everything. It is easy in our society to be very critical and judgmental without having to be accountable for our thoughts, words or actions. We are a society so prevalent in negativity, it is easy to see why so many are discouraged when there is applied pressure to not only meet our own expectations, but the expectations of others. What a change would come about if we could eliminate despair and hopelessness from people's lives and help them feel loved, appreciated, accepted and that all that you are -- is enough.
I think there is another choice and that is made up of what you are willing to sacrifice for the good of others. I think you will find many meaningful organizations that are sincerely looking out for the well-being of others, but when you look at why it was organized, it was because of a personal relationship with someone who was suffering. We become a lot more impassioned about a cause when it has a direct affect on someone that we really care about. Even with all the loyal service in these temporal organizations for a good cause, there will never be enough. Our wisdom is inadequate, our love is quickly exhausted, our patience is in short supply, our resources are scanty, our capability limited, and our talents are stunted.
I have not chosen to be involved in the wonderful organizations in the community because I still get overwhelmed with all the service that can be done within the church. With church, I feel that I am just a tool in the Lord's hands trying to serve Him to the best of my abilities and I know that He will help me succeed in the callings He gives me. I understand what is expected of me in a calling and where my responsibilities start and stop. I still marvel in the plan of salvation that provides a Savior that has the power to make up for all our deficiencies. Yet if we trust and have faith in Christ we can having peace in our lives,even in a scary world.
Erin. I think you might be forming some opinions. Which is very scary for me who would like it if you would just let me do the thinking for you. Oh maturity!! You have taken another sheep and made her into a shepherd.
Post a Comment