2.05.2009

yeah....that just happened

The other day I went to renew my license, you know so I can have a big girl driver's ID so I can drink and party like a real college student (...haha yeah right!)
Well I'm going to try my best to explain how to get to the DMV office. This will be difficult but I'll try. The old DMV office used to be on the top of a hill near the fair grounds but now it is at the bottom of the hill, still near the fair grounds. So from where my parents live we have to go around the top or side of the hill to get to the new DMV. You following me so far? Well, I see some administration office at the top of the hill but knew I had to be at a lower parking lot.
Here's where my brain got confused, because I remember going to the old DMV when I was little but I remembered when I got my driver's license that mom and I parked at a bottom parking lot. So I see a bottom parking lot and pull in. As I pull in I realize there are higher - closer - parking lots, so why not park closer. I figured when I was 16 there just hadn't been enough spots at the top, that day, and that's why we had parked down there.
I start driving up the ramp that is connected to the lower parking lot to get to the higher parking lot. The road becomes narrow as I pass the parking lot and I'm thinking man this is tiny, I hope a car doesn't drive down this. I also see some stairs leading up to the black asphalt that I'm driving on and I think wow, there's not a lot of room for a car and people to walk up this.
I get to the top and there's a wooden barricade. Crap. I just drove up the walkway to this building. I can't squeeze my mom's van through the wooden barricade and the metal rail and I'm sure as heck not going to reverse this thing back down. So I get out of the car and try to move the barricade. I move it some and it starts to fall apart! No, I'm not going to deal with this, there's people walking around looking at me - maybe because I drove my car up the walkway or maybe because I realized I started to talk to myself. Anyways, I moved the barricade over a little bit and was able to get the van through.
After all that trouble I realized I didn't go far enough down the hill and I wasn't at the right place anyways. As I drove around the corner to get to the lower part of the hill I pass a cop and I'm so glad he didn't see the doozy I just put myself through.
I finally get called up to the counter at the DMV and I tell the lady that I need to renew my driver's license and she asks me if I my license has been suspended....."No" I say, but it probably should be...I think to myself.
Yes, that's right America, I will be on the roads for 4 more years. You have been warned.

PS. I drove back to the walkway and someone had moved over the barricade at the bottom of it and that's why I didn't realize it was a walkway. booya.

1 comment:

The Hong Dynasty said...

It just goes to show you Erin, that if all people were considerate your driving mistake would never have happened because there would have been a barricade at the bottom of the black top drive in the first place. Some of city planners and engineers were probably in shock watching you drive on the walkway between parking lots. Who knows how many future lives you have saved by being in that predicament on a cold snowy day at the end of Jan. Thank goodness you were willing to go where no one has ever gone before. The city of Wooster owes you a great debt.